Sunday 2 November 2014

Unity in Diversity

Sunday, 2 November 2014

The Day of Tribes

    Imagine a Nigeria where our differences are celebrated. Just like October 1st is Independence Day; a particular day is marked as "unity in diversity day", "cultural day", or something like that. A national holiday to be celebrated by every state. We can all go to the stadium as any of our numerous tribes.
    I will go the 1st time in a Nupe attire. To please my parents of course and also for people know what the nupe attire looks like. I will work majestically�� in my 2 wrappers and headgear with a huge grin on my face atleast untill I get tired��
    Another time, I will go as a Tiv woman. God I love their outfit and dance��. Well, I probably wouldn't to break and twist like they do but I'll learn a few words to hammer people when I'm approached��. And if I end up being approached by someone who speaks fluent Tiv, I will hammer then with my charm��. They have to show me love, I am dressed as one of them��.
    I will enter myself into the food contest and cook either edikaikon or moi-moi wrapped with leaves��. Those can never go wrong unless a Calabar woman participates in the contest��.
    And oh! I will be around the people of Kebbi, Kogi, Niger and Benue for some fish pepper soup��.  It will be a perfect replacement for popcorn while I enjoy the Eyo, Akatakpa, Nike, Ijele, Kuti, etc. masquerades display. And the Juju, babalawo or Nigerian magicians perform( I know I wouldn't be a volunteer��).
    Did I mention that I will watch the Koroso dance by the Hausas��, hang around the Fulani tent for some Fura da Nono. And oh God! I will definitely be under the Benin tent for some groundnut soup��.
    I will go to the Igbo and Yoruba tent to watch the wonder that is their dance. Try on the Igala, Kanuri, Edo and Itsekiri outifit��. I hope they dash me after I try them on��.
    And well, I know I will leave with a bag filled with food and various cultural objects such as carvings and jewelries����. It's not awuf ooo��. I will also leave with knowledge and better understanding of numerous tribes��.

No comments:

Post a Comment