Saturday 23 May 2015

Interview with CEO of Timabee, Fatima Babakura .

1. Who is Fatima Babakura? Tell us about yourself .

I am 19 years old, the second of four children in my family. I am a business student at Mcmaster University in Canada. I find it really hard to tell people about myself *laughs*. I guess you just have to find out.

2. How did you venture yourself into designing bags
To be honest, designing bags just happened. It wasn't something I had always dreamed of like other designers. I mean, I have always loved designing right from when I was younger but it was clothes. I had imagined owning a clothing line but that has not happened yet. I started designing bags mainly because I randomly drew a bag one day and instantly loved what it looked like on paper. I really could not wait to see the reality of it. So as usual, my fearless self decided to make it happen. I risked trusting a manufacturer I knew nothing about to make the bag. It did not come out as I imagined the first time, so I basically lost the money I put into it *laughs*. But I believed in it and wanted to try again. I went back, made a few material and size changes, and there it was. That bag turned out to be the Timabee Classic which is the 


3. What is Unique about your bags and brand? 

My brand identity is what makes my brand unique. *smiles* As far as I know, there is only one Timabee and I believe its logo speaks for it. In terms of design, I believe the aesthetic (i.e styles, shapes, materials, hardware etc) of our handbags makes them unique. Every collection revolves around the Timabee aesthetic. 

4. What are the challenges you face in your business 
*laughs* One challenge for sure is having to juggle school and Timabee at the same time. I am a full time student and sometimes I just don't have the time to work on a collection which means it might end up coming out later than it should. I am learning to manage both and the beauty of it is, I have learned it is not as difficult as it seemed. It gets better *smile*. Another challenge is shipping. The cost is just too much especially because a lot of our customers are outside Canada. Trying to keep the shipping costs as reasonable as possible is the most challenging part because one can lose a client over shipping prices *laughs*. I could go on and on talking about challenges. Sometimes it is as little as deciding the quantity of bags to produce for a collection. 

5. What is your main Goal?

My main goal is to get the brand name Timabee out there. I want people to be able to recognize the brand.


6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years to come.
I see Timabee being bigger than what it is obviously. I hope to have at least one flagship store here in Canada and possibly, Nigeria. I see Timabee Homme in the picture as well. I also hope to introduce the clothing line I am currently working on *smiles*

7 where did you draw your inspiration from.

laughs* like I said earlier, starting Timabee just happened. I can't place a finger on one particular thing that inspired me. But one thing for sure that drove me into starting the business was the response I got from people, especially the ones I met randomly at the mall who told me they liked the bag because they had never seen anything like it. 

8 who is your Role Model? 
I adore Lisa Folawiyo! There is just something about her and the way she manages her brand that I admire.I think I have watched every Lisa Folawiyo interview out there *laughs*. The advice Lisa gave me for Timabee is something I will forever stick to. 

9 What advise do you have for other young Nigerians like you who are willing to become the next top entrepreneurs . 

laughs* I am not yet there to be honest, so I feel weird answering this question because I still go around asking for advice. But one thing I know is, you have to believe in whatever it is you want to venture in. Believing also means that you have to perfectly understand what your business is about in a way that you can explain to anyone enough to convince them or at least get their attention. Because truth is, in the beginning, not everyone would understand what you are trying to sell and some might even put you down. You have to push yourself!

1 comment: